Thursday, December 3, 2009

Venice Flooded by Seasonal High Tide

Visitors and residents of Venice are not having ‘fun’ in the usual touristy way these days. Why?

Because it is ‘flood time’ in Venice.

When I visited Venice years and years ago, it was during the ‘normal’ season when the only excesses one had to endure were the gazillions of pigeons in St. Mark’s square.

But, a friend had told me of her experience of visiting Venice when flood waters were everywhere. She told about walking on boards and wearing boots. I was amazed and even though I had no reason to doubt her, somehow this just seemed hard to believe.

Recently an article on the internet reminded me of the flood event my friend had experienced. And it included pictures! And, yes, as she had related, folks were walking around on boards or in water with and without boots.

Of course, this flood doesn’t hold a candle to Noah’s Flood. But, wow, what a mess. This is definitely not the time to visit Venice unless you are a real fan of wading around in water!

Anyway, to see what it is like in Venice when the ‘tide is in’, and 27 great pictures of the fairly frequent event, HERE’S THE LINK.