Monday, November 17, 2014

Naugahyde

         
Do you have a Naugahyde chair or couch somewhere in your house or apartment?

If so you are likely curious about the Nauga and its importance in the furniture making industry.

Nauga? 

Yes.

Hmmm. I can hear you thinking as you say:

"I have heard of cowhide and deer hide and various other animal hides used to make chairs, couches, pillows, whatever. 

"But --  a Nauga?

 "What is a Nauga?

"And, now that you mention it, I don't think I have ever seen a Nauga."

Well, those were my thoughts also when I first heard about the Nauga.

Years ago we had a Naugahyde chair and our dad said it took the skins of a thousand Naugas to make that chair.

Wow! A thousand Naugas ! So sad.

And Naugas must be small, I reasoned.

So, the search began.  I wanted to see a Nauga.

For years I searched -- in vain.

But, finally, the mysterious little Nauga has been found.

Want to know what it is and what it looks like?

Thought you did.

So, without further ado



...