Monday, April 26, 2010

The Evolution of the cell phone

Now here is ‘evolution’ that makes sense.

I am speaking of the origin and evolution of the Cell phone.

Why this topic?  Well, recently my cell phone was ‘upgraded’ from the dinosaur ‘candy bar’ phone (circa 2004) to a used, but very modern to me, flip phone (which I had always admired.) Wow!  It is quite an advancement and awesome in its features! A big thank you to the donor.

Back in 2004, I was probably the last person on earth to get a cell phone, though I had long admired them from afar, and had friends who had those early humongous bulky and very expensive cell phones such as you see in the picture above, being held by Dr. Cooper, the inventor.

But, I digress.

Recently there was an interesting article about the ‘evolution’ of the cell phone. According to that article this all began in 1983. 

But, according to another article it began in 1973 when Martin Cooper invented the cell phone.  Hmm.

Oh well, it was obviously not billions and billions of years ago.

Anyway, to see the chart showing the evolution of cell phone features and uses, HERE’S THE LINK

And to read about the man who invented the cell / mobile phone, Martin Cooper, and where cell phones of the future might be headed, HERE’S THE LINK