Saturday, August 22, 2009

Parley’s History of the World is NOT Revisionist History

Recently I watched a DVD which taught, among other things, about the effects of Revisionist History on a person’s world view. As one example, It told what is currently in the History Textbooks concerning the Mayflower Compact. (The speaker held up the Textbook his daughter was using as an example).

In that typical current History textbook, according to the video I was watching, this is what the students are now reading when they study the Mayflower Compact:

We whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God of Great Britain, France and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith, etc.
Having undertaken, a Voyage to plant the First Colony in the Northern Parts of Virginia, ...

(he did not quote the rest of the Mayflower Compact on his Power point presentation so I assume it was unchanged)...

But what the Mayflower compact really stated is, (and I am highlighting in RED the words that were deleted from the Current typical Textbook):

In the name of God, Amen. We whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God of Great Britain, France and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith, etc. Having undertaken, for the Glory of God and advancement of the Christian Faith and Honour of our King and Country, a Voyage to plant the First Colony in the Northern Parts of Virginia, ...

(again I am leaving out the rest of the Mayflower compact since he was emphasizing the fact that the deleted parts were so key in understanding why the Pilgrims came to America.)

This is an example of ‘Revisionist History’. Not many words were left out but they were very significant words. Students who read this abbreviated, edited, revised version of history will have no clue or understanding why the USA was founded and the underlying principles.

So, what to do?

Well, for one thing, read history books that have not revised history. Of course, this is easier said than done. But, if you are wanting to know about the history of the world, without any revisionist bias, then, do I have the book for you.

It is Parley’s History of the World and is now my all time favorite history book.

Alas, it is not the book I used when studying History. Revisionism was already in vogue when I went through school. But, I always wondered why my parents and grandparents knew so much more history than even my history teachers. Well, it was not because my parents were 5000 years old, but, because they had studied this textbook.

I discovered this book by accident a few years ago. But, wow! When I found it and read it, my eyes were opened. And, if you read it, yours will, too. This is definitely a ‘must read’ book.

Yeah, Yeah, I can hear you now saying “I don’t like history!” Well, I didn’t either UNTIL I read this book !!!

I could go on and on about this book. And, actually, I did. So, to read more about this book and why you need to get and read it, CLICK HERE