Sunday, July 25, 2010

Why popcorn pops

How many out there love popcorn? 

Yes I see that forest of hands out there in cyberspace land!

And I have often wondered why only a certain kind of corn would pop -- and why it is not the soft and tasty corn that we boil in water and then eat with butter and salt. Yum. Yum.

Instead, it is that hard rough dry corn that by twisting your hands you rub it off the cob. 

What? You never did that? 

Well, I remember doing that years and years ago (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) at my grandparents house.  They would sit me down with a big basket full of corn still on the cob and a big container to collect the kernels as I wrung them off the cob. 

Yes, a vivid memory.

Today, it is so much simpler.  One just goes to the store and buys the corn already off the cob and ready to pop.

But that brings us to the next question. What makes popcorn pop?

If you don’t know and want to find out, HERE’S THE LINK.